Which CPU for heavy traffic with much filtering/shaping?

Hi

I have a router with a large number of iptables rules and some extensive traffic shaping (HTB + RED + ... ) + conntrack.

The router is running Centos5 on a P4 Celeron 2.4 with 512Mb ram

30% soft interrupt cpu utilisation
7000 packets/second on each of eth1 and eth0 (forwarded packets)
20Mbit/second on both eth1 and eth0
e1000 ethernet on both eth0 and eth1 (eth1 running at 100Mbit)

I am trying to optimise the firewall rules and have already managed to reduce cpu si by about 40% however I need to get this router to handle a throughput rate of 100Mbit or more.

I have seen hints that using SMP (or multicore) processors will not help for soft interrupt. My question is this:

1. What processors should I be looking for in order to achieve the best routing throughput on a linux router?

2. Is it true that multicore processors will not help much in this situation?

Best regards,
Derek