Re: HFSC and that ATM overhead problem (Another VOIP QoS post. Ahhhh)

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 23:04:19 +1100
Fog_Watch <db5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> HFSC appears to be the queueing discipline of choice for VOIP.
In http://www.lartc.org/lartc.html it is stated that users of CBQ
might suffer from the 'sendmail effect' - "which teaches us that any
complex technology which doesn't come with documentation must be the
best available."  Purhaps I was suffering from 'sendmail effect' when
considering HFSC.

At http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=27049#p27049 there is an
interesting passage that compares HTB and HFSC, and states how the
priority setting of HTB in effect decouples latency and bandwidth.
Based on this and the standard documentation
(http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/userg.htm) I think I'll have
a crack at HTB first.

>does that mean that the next best
> solution would be HTB coupled with the newly updated
> http://www.adsl-optimizer.dk/?
In addition to the above I've looked at:
http://www.adsl-optimizer.dk/
http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/tc/tc-atm/
http://edseek.com/archives/2006/03/13/linux-qos-tc-and-accounting-for-atm-overhead/

I am none the wiser about what I do to make adsl-optimizer go.  What
I'm going to do is establish sub-optimal shaping (probably Shorewall)
and then maybe optimise later.

Interestingly, adsl-optimizer is now established under sourceforge
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/adsl-optimizer/)

Regards

Fog_Watch.

--