Re: Distro ready out of the box

Debian 4.0 has all I need including iptables and tc, but _not_ L7 filter or ipp2p :-(

You should look into Zeroshell, which has L7 (haven't tried it)
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9446520379.html
http://www.zeroshell.net/eng

Shorewall appears to have ipp2p (but apparently not L7?)

and it looks like there are add ons to IPCop.

It is sad it is not easier... I looked into L7 etc. and ended up deciding that is is such an imperfect way of classifying data that it is better (for me at least) to instead choose a different policy - prioritize ssh, VOIP and web by port and then prevent each host from hogging more than their fair share of the total bandwidth.

But e.g. DD-WRT (embedded distro for wireless routers like the WRT54GL) seems to do a quite good job of it (with L7).

sincerely,
Nicolas

Riccardo (SCASI) wrote:
hi all,

I'm writing not for technical problems but for a simple question.
Do You know if there is a distro which is ready for traffic shaping etc. 'out of the box'? I mean a distro which does not require patching the kernel and/or iptables and/or installing from source etc. and gives the user most of the tools needed (imq, ipp2p, l7filter and so on).

many thanks
riki