Re: Problem with multiple ADSL lines

Kostas Flokos wrote:
Hi all,
I have managed to setup a Fedora 7 box with 3 ethernet cards and two ADSL modem/routers from different suppliers as LARTC recommends. I am able to direct traffic for specific internal IPs either to one or the other ADSL line. However, I am faced with two problems I am struggling for the solution: 1. I have opened a few ports on the ADSL router/firewalls to talk to internal hosts; say when someone hits http://myADSL1_IP I would redirect him to 192.168.0.10 <http://192.168.0.10>; while if someone hits http://myADSL2_IP I would redirect him to 192.168.0.20 <http://192.168.0.20>.
This is your ADSL router(s) config.
If I have rules such as the following all works well:
   ip rule add from 192.168.0.10 <http://192.168.0.10> table ADSL1_rules
   ip rule add from 192.168.0.20 <http://192.168.0.20> table ADSL2_rules
These are rules on your linux machine to send traffic back on the same link they came from.
Unfortunately, if I want to do the reverse it does not work. I can't have a host prefer one ADSL line, but still receive traffic from the other ADSL line.
This can be done by switching the rule table above. Obviously NAT is being used. However, this will break. You cannot initiate a connection to one IP and match the reply or ack for that connection from another IP. TCP/IP basics. Assymetric routing works when no address translations take place.
It may sound weird, but I only want to have one host reply to any of the two IPs, either from ISP1 or ISP2. With the current configuration I can't. It works ok the default ISP of the host, but can't make it to work for the other.
One way of doing this would be:
1. Set the routers to bridge mode.
2. Assign the ISP IPs to the NICs.
3. Source NAT rules use ISP1_IP and routing rule redirects it to link connected to ISP2. Flip similarly for ISP1.

Let us hope your ISP2 does not filter out traffic having source outside his subnet when it arrives from within.

Mohan