Re: shaping by packet count rather than bytes ?

David Boreham wrote:
iptables: limit, hashlimit, dstlimit work on pps basis.
<doh> ! yes, I'd thought about that stuff but somehow
discounted it as 'not worthy' for traffic shaping.
Actually, I remember now why iptables doesn't work :

All it does is drop the excess packets over the limit.

That's not what I need. Rather , I want something like a
tbf that operates on packet count rather than byte count.
Thus, packets will be send at the configured rate, and
queued up if they arrive at a rate in excess of the limit.

iptables will simply drop the excess, which I'm sure will
lead to poor throughput and of course means that there's no
queue to manage to achieve a given QoS policy.

Rewriting tbf or htb to operate on packets not
bytes _seems_ like it'd do the trick.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has made this their masters thesis ;)