Re: DNAT rule for vsftp (PASSIVE FTP)

On 10/05/07 02:16, Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
What is FTP helper module?

As I understand it, the Connection Tracking FTP helper module is essentially a small module / algorithm that you load in to the Connecting Tracking structure (via the below modules) to watch what ftp commands you send out and / or receive so that it can dynamically on the fly update the connection tracking table to allow the other negotiated ports that FTP uses through statefull packet inspection. In other words you should not need to write explicit rules for control and data connections be it active or passive.

is it ip_nat_ftp ?

Yes.

ANYWAY,  I have  loaded below  2 modules.

/sbin/modprobe -a ip_conntrack_ftp ip_nat_ftp
YOUR COMMENTS.

That should work.

I'll have to double check some things to make sure that you don't need to do any thing special other than just allow the initial connection and rely on the FTP connection tracking helper to handle all other connections.

I've never run an FTP server behind a NAT, but I've never had a problem with the FTP client behind the NAT with the above modules loaded. Though it is my understanding that the module will take care of both.

Grant. . . .