RE: using tc to drop packets based on the diffserc or tos value

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your much needed suggestion.

Actually i have a video Delivey server(suppose it supports 240 simultaneous calls).
It takes request from various users for video delivery.

Now suppose if i want that after load reaches to 200, i should only allow
premium users.In order to identify, non- preimum user,i check their diffserv
value and drop their packets.This helps me to achieve QOS.

Problem is that i have read various tutorials of tc but i am yet not comfertable.

Default settings on my machine is: -

[root@scotch root]# ip link list
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:02:b3:f1:89:0c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:02:b3:f1:89:0d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: sit0: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop
    link/sit 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0

Can i user filter on the default qdisc attached on the eth0.If then how?
(although i read somewhere that there is very little customization that we can do the default qdisc)?

If i used some classful qdisc than how would i restore my default setting?

Do we have better way achieving the same?

Can you suggest me some useful tutorials?

Please do reply.

Regards,

Raghuvendra Kumar | BTSL
414 | Ext