Wireless Ad Hoc and TEQL

I'm trying to follow Chapter 10 of the howto and apply it to two
ubuntu machines each with two 802.11b/g interfaces. However, I cannot
get a connection.

I would like the 4 interfaces to create 2 ad hoc links on separate
channels. I have set this up successfully with the following:

/etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
iwconfig ath0 essid 'adhoc0'
iwconfig ath0 channel 1
iwconfig ath0 key 'password'
ifconfig ath0 up
ifconfig ath0 192.168.0.YYY
ifconfig ath0 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig ath0 broadcast 192.168.0.255

wlanconfig ath1 destroy
wlanconfig ath1 create wlandev wifi1 wlanmode adhoc
iwconfig ath1 essid 'adhoc1'
iwconfig ath1 channel 11
iwconfig ath1 key 'password'
ifconfig ath1 up
ifconfig ath1 192.168.2.YYY
ifconfig ath1 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig ath1 broadcast 192.168.2.255

where YYY is 100 for host A and 101 for host B. Then I try

modprobe sch_teql
tc qdisc add dev ath0 root teql0
tc qdisc add dev ath1 root teql0
ip link set dev teql0 up
ifconfig teql0 192.168.1.YYY

After this step I cannot ping via any of {ath0, ath1, teql0}.

I have tried renaming the devices to eth1 and eth2 via ip link set dev
ath0 name eth1. I do this before the iwconfig commands above, but this
does not help.

I have also tried following the Chapter 10 instructions more loyally
by using  ip addr add dev instead of ifconfig to set up the IP
addresses, but this did not work. After this step the ifconfig output
does not reflect the changes that ip addr add dev was supposed to make.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott