Re: bandwidth aggregation between 2 hosts in the same subnet

On 07/31/07 06:01, Ralf Gross wrote:
But I don't have an isolated network. Maybe I'm still too blind to see a simple solution.

This is why Paul's solution, though accurate, will not work in your scenario.

The fact that you are trying to go across an aggregated link in the middle between the two buildings where you have no control is going to hinder you severely.

The only other nasty thing that comes to mind is to assign additional MAC / IP sets to each system on their second interfaces. Establish IP-IP (?) tunnels between the two systems via each pair of MAC / IP sets. I.e. Machine A Primary MAC / IP set to machine B Primary MAC / IP set and Machine A Secondary MAC / IP set to machine B Secondary MAC / IP set. Thus yielding two tunnels between the two machines. Then if you were trying to get to an IP address that could be routed by the IP address at the end of either tunnel, you could then use something like Equal Cost Multi Path (a.k.a. ECMP) routing to send packets down both routes. Seeing as how the traffic you are sending will be encapsulated in IP-IP tunnel packets, each of which should be between its own MAC / IP sets, the switch(s) so the switches should not cause a problem by doing what they are doing.

Grant. . . .