Re: Patch accurate packet scheduling for ATM/ADSL

Hi,

2007/7/26, Russell Stuart <russell-tcatm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 15:14 +0200, Edouard Thuleau wrote:
> I use the patch
> (http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/tc/tc-atm/) for accurate
> the packet scheduling on ATM/ADSL link and i think I've found a bug.
> I tried to write to the author but he didn't answer me.

Sorry.  :(  I have now.

Thanks for your answer.

> I work on a Linux 2.6.17 with the iproute2-2.6.18-061002 package.
> I change the type of the cell_align char to short of the struct
> tc_ratespec in the file pkt_sched.h (in the include/linux/ directories
> of iproute package and the kernel source) :
>
> struct tc_ratespec
> {
>       unsigned char   cell_log;
>       unsigned char   __reserved;
>       unsigned short  feature;        /* Always 0 in pre-atm patch kernels */
> -     char            cell_align;     /* Always 0 in pre-atm patch kernels */
> -     unsigned char   __unused;
> +     short           cell_align;     /* Always 0 in pre-atm patch kernels */
>       unsigned short  mpu;
>       __u32           rate;
> };
>
> The results are much better and with my tests, it works very nicely.
>
> If it can help someone,

I can't see how that would change things as the cell align
always lies within the range -7..0.  The only thing that
springs to mind is perhaps you aren't using i386, and your
CPU doesn't sign extend char's???  What CPU are you using?

Yes I use an ARM big-endian architecture, it's my problem.
I understood now.
If we put a short, the patch works for all architecture, no ?

Thanks.