Hotplug and Multipath routes = lost route

	I have 2 cable modems on a server (Linux 2.6.22). I use
multipath, so the route is something like this:

default
        nexthop via 201.6.102.1  dev eth1 weight 256
        nexthop via 201.6.107.1  dev eth2 weight 128

	The first one (eth1) has a higher priority, then when it goes
down, I can "ifconfig" the interface eth1 down and Linux automatically
detects the "dead" gateway and change the route to the second one.

	Ok. The problem is that when one of the modems goes down, and
as they use the cdc_ether module to communicate via USB, the *entire*
route is erased because one of the devices doesn't exist anymore.

	It's not a problem with hotplug, since it's correct to remove
the device and the route that would go through it. But it would be nice
if the kernel just removed the specific "nexthop" which uses the
inactive device instead of removing the entire default route.

	Is there a way to tell the kernel to do that? Or to not remove
the route at all and just mark the "nexthop" with the inactive device
as dead and wait for it to come back alive?

	Thank you!

--
Linux 2.6.22: Holy Dancing Manatees, Batman!
http://www.lastfm.pt/user/danielfraga
http://www.lastfm.pt/user/danielfraga
http://u-br.net
Oasis - "Wonderwall" ((What's the Story) Morning Glory?)