Re: Help with traffic control (HTB ESFQ RED)

Edgar wrote:
Hello, there's a problem I've had for several months now, and I've never been able to find an answer to it. I'll try to explain as quick as possible:

I have a server that controlls my home network, it provides internet to them also (NAT) and I would like to provide QoS by shaping traffic. I have a p2p server here (running mldonkey), since only that machine is serving p2p and anyone can connect to it to download linux distros ( :) ) my attemp here was to limit bandwidth for that machine. I've partially done this, I've written some HTB rules and I've nested ESFQ leafs within htb classes. At first it seems like it works, but then two problems arise: 1) Web latency (partially solved by increasing burst size, but still happens)

Possibly too close to egress rate or need to shape/police ingress or maybe prio dns lookups aswell.

 and 2) download seems affected a lot in the p2p server.

You need to prio acks/small packets for P2P aswell or they may get delayed too much in the queue. You could also raise it's ceil a bit.

I believe HTB is doing it's work, but the one that is failing to do so correctly is ESFQ, since I see upload limitted to the rate I specify. I'm using ESFQ since it can control traffic by ip, instead of doing it by flows (like classic sfq). I tried using RED too, but I haven't been able to find much documentation for it, so I guess I might be doing RED stuff wrong (I'll include my RED rule too, in case anyone can help with it). So I'll post the script I'm using to shape traffic, hope you ppl can help me out.

#!/bin/sh

### Upload Link ###
DEV=eth0

### Modify $DEV's queue and MTU ###
ip link set dev $DEV qlen 50

*sfq still defaults to 128 I think - use limit parameter to reduce

ip link set dev $DEV mtu 1500

### iptables mangle table cleanup ###
iptables -t mangle -F
iptables -t mangle -X

## ROOT QDISC cleanup in $DEV
tc qdisc del dev $DEV root 2> /dev/null > /dev/null
tc qdisc del dev $DEV ingress 2> /dev/null > /dev/null
#tc qdisc del dev $HDEV root 2> /dev/null > /dev/null

P2P_IP=192.168.0.100
SSH_PORT=9000

### CLASSES ###
SSH=1:10
P2P=1:20
DEF=1:30
HTTP=1:40

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -s $P2P_IP -o $DEV -j CLASSIFY --set-class $P2P iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -o $DEV -p tcp --sport $SSH_PORT -j MARK --set-mark 1 iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $DEV -s ! $P2P_IP -p tcp -m length --length :64 -j MARK --set-mark 1 iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -o $DEV -m mark --mark 1 -j CLASSIFY --set-class $SSH iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -o $DEV -m mark --mark 1 -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $DEV -s ! $P2P_IP -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 80,445,7777,7778,8080 -j MARK --set-mark 2 iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $DEV -m mark --mark 2 -j CLASSIFY --set-class $HTTP iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $DEV -m mark --mark 2 -j TOS --set-tos Maximize-Throughput

The tos won't make any difference

MAX_RATE=30kbps
P2P_UP=10kbps
## HTB CLASSES ##

tc qdisc add dev $DEV root handle 1: htb default 30

Arp will go to default - it's better to use iptables/a filter to catch other ip traffic.

tc class add dev $DEV parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate $MAX_RATE burst 15k tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid $P2P htb rate 3kbps ceil $P2P_UP burst 0 prio 2 quantum 1600

From memory burst 10 gave a smaller burst than 0 when I tested.

tc -s -d class ls $DEV will show bursts used.

tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid $SSH htb rate 5kbps ceil $MAX_RATE burst 0 prio 0 quantum 1600

I would give ssh some burst

tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid $HTTP htb rate 10kbps ceil $MAX_RATE burst 15k prio 0 quantum 1600 tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid $DEF htb rate 5kbps ceil $MAX_RATE burst 0 prio 1 quantum 1600

### ESFQ LEAFS ###
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent $SSH handle 10: esfq perturb 10 hash ctorigdst
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent $DEF handle 30: esfq perturb 10 hash classic
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent $P2P handle 20: esfq perturb 10 hash ctorigdst depth 256
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent $HTTP handle 40: esfq perturb 10 hash classic

## RED rule used instead of ESFQ one for $P2P class ##
#tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent $P2P handle 20: red min 1600 max 6400 burst 5 limit 6k avpkt 1000