To broadcast or not to broadcast...

I'm looking to refine / re-use my recently discussed "Redundant internet connections" (http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2007q2/thread.html#21015) in such a way that I will not be sure of returning traffic, thus I must monitor the connection my self and not rely on inbound traffic to update the kernel counters.

I'm considering using arping to ping the upstream gateway. I think this will work just fine. However arping has an option to always send broadcasts verses starting with broadcast packets and then falling back to unicast packets. My fear is that if I use arpings default method of broadcast and then unicast once a MAC is known, this will fail if the upstream router is doing something where the MAC address would change.

So, my question / request for thoughts and / or opinions, is should I always send out broadcasts so that any and all stations on the subnet see the ARP, thus allowing the arping to function even if the MAC address of the default gateway is changed, say if the provider decides to do an upgrade and / or maintenance?

Grant. . . .