Re: Linux bridging and cascaded switches

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 05:54:46PM -0500, Greg Scott wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Still plugging away at my Linux bridge/firewall and thinking through the
> consequences.  In a normal firewall situation, the Internet is on one
> side, the internal LAN on the other. Duh!  But now, with a Linux bridge
> in the middle, the whole thing becomes one big messy LAN.  So we have a
> scenario that looks like this:
>
> Internal---User---Core-----Firewall---Internet---Internet router
> Servers   switch  switch  (Bridged)    switch   (and default GW for
>                                                  internal servers)

out of curiosity why would you want to bridge at the firewall.  is this meant
to be a drop in-line firewall appliance

> The scenario is a little more complex than I drew above because the
> internal side has more than one LAN segment participating in the bridge.
> I'm working on a way to simulate all this here - before going into
> production - but I have a big question;
>
> That firewall/bridge is no longer a router - it's a bridge.  Well, a
> bridge that also does a bunch of stateful IP layer 3 filtering.  So now,
> it will participate in a spanning tree setup with all those switches, on
> both sides of it - right?  I'm guessing I want to turn off STP in this
> case.  Am I on the right track?

if there is only 1 way to connect from the corporate (private LAN) to the
public (internet) then I don't think you will need STP - it was meant to stop
loops in ethernet segments.

If you have multiple paths you might still need it