RE: Re: multiple routing tables for internal router programs

> > NATing is done with MASQUERADE, not SNAT, I use another MARK for it,
but
> > in essence it is
> > -o eth2 -j MASQUEARDE
> > -o eth3 -j MASQUEARDE
> >
> > In addition, there are several other MARKs for policy routing. They
have
> > their own routing tables also. But at present, they are all empty.
> >

> This is the part I definitely do not like. First of all - wht
> SNAT/MASQUERADE _all_ traffic? You should do this for forwarder
traffic
> only. Like so:

Yes, in fact, this is what I do. I mentioned I use MARK for
MASQUERADing, but forgot to elaborate. That particular MARK is set for
forwarded packets only.

> Also you mention that there are "other marks" , which means that you
> might very well be overwriting marks as you go. A packet/connection
can
> have only _one_ mark value at any time, no more no less (a 0x0 is
still
> a mark)

I use --or-mark in iptables, so that I can use bitwise masks. The 'ip'
tool supports bit masks too.