Re: What I learned about Linux bridging

On 06/07/07 01:55, Greg Scott wrote:
I might see if I can do this with one set of rules in the PREROUTING
 chain.

That is exactly why I put the rules in a new chain and jumped to the chain. One place to maintain them. With the ability to jump to the chain and then return to the chain that you jumped from, things act more like a sub-routine in programming.

 - Create new chains with a default policy of RETURN.
 - DROP on failures with in the new chain.
 - Default policy of RETURN will return packet flow to the calling chain.
 - Jump to the new chain from INPUT and return from it if everything is ok.
- Jump to the new chain from FORWARD and return from it if everything is ok.

In fact, you could use the new chain as a (sub)chain from any chain with in the filter table.

Yup - I noticed similar behavior. So this is how I'll handle it. eth0 gets an IP Address of 1.2.3.6 during normal bootup. And then when I do the brctl stuff, br0 gets 1.2.3.2. That way there's never a conflict between the physical and logical. All the physical interfaces have unique addresses so I can route based on the address when it makes sense, or bridge based on the interface when that makes sense. I'm feeling lots better about all this. Hopefully this discussion can help others out there.

This is one way to do it. Just be careful of race conditions while you are bringing things up.

Grant. . . .