Re: elementary usage clamping

use the HTB wondershaper that can be found at lartc.org

On 6/6/07, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm pretty smart, and was once regarded as pretty network and computer
savvy.  But the world has obviously passed me by!

I have a server in a colocation facility, and I was recently hit by a
bill for overage; I used more bandwidth than I expected, and I must
pay.

So now, I want to bother with packet shaping on the server.  The *most*
important thing is to clamp bandwidth to the 1Mbps that my contract
allows for.  This is well within my ordinary usage; there is no reason
for me to want more.  But I must be careful about overage: when I am
transferring large amounts of data, I don't mind waiting for how long it
takes at 1Mbps (minus overhead), but I certainly don't want to pay lots
extra!

This is the most important thing.  The next thing is that, once the
bandwidth has been clamped, I want to have the ability to be flexible
about shaping traffic.  Obviously such things as ssh need priority, and
then AFS, and then ftp and http.  But this is still really only a
single-user case, so even if the shaping is not so great, it's ok.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what tcng syntax would get me
what I want.  Can someone help me?

Thomas

Marco Casaroli
SapucaiNet Telecom