Re: Multihome load balancing - kernel vs netfilter

On Monday 14 May 2007 02:57, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> Hi,
> I have searched the archives on the topic, and it seems that the list
> gurus favor load balancing to be done in the kernel as opposed to other
> means.

AFAIKR there aren't conflicting opinions, there are just to different
aproaches and i belive that routing solution is user cause it was the first
and because sounds logical to implement multipath with your routing tool.
But iptables has become in a routing tool so far (and much more).

Personaly im using multipath, but i do not dislike the iptables aproach.

> I have been using a home-grown approach, which splits traffic
> based on `-m statistic --mode random --probability X`, then CONNMARKs
> the individual connections and the kernel happily routes them. I
> understand that for > 2 links it will become impractical to calculate a
> correct X.

well, is not impractical with a litle of scripting in your firewal...
#!/bin/bash
# your uplinks weight as in kernel multipath
# ie:   link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
weight="  1     2     1     3     5  "
weight_total=
for n in $weight ; do
        let weight_total=weight_total+n
done
for n in $weight ; do
        probability=$((n*100/weight_total))
        echo iptables.. -m statistic --mode random --probability $probability
done

but the problem arraise when you have lets say 101 links, cause mode random
takes a 2 digit number right?, but this can be changed in the code (use the
source...)

> But if we only have 2 gateways to the internet - are there
> any advantages in letting the kernel multipath scheduler do the
> balancing (with all the downsides of route caching), as opposed to the
> pure random approach described above?

Well, the disvantage i see is that you have to move all your routing rules to
iptables space, but in the end you always need the routing table, but it is a
mather of change old habits...

--
Luciano