Re: ipp2p problem with kernel 2.6.20!

Hi,

I'm using ipp2p v0.8.2 under kernel 2.6.20 - especially to shape my son's bittorrent usage :)
I had the same problem first, then it took me several steps/attemps to make it work but it is now.
Those are the steps I followed (probably an overkill but I wanted all features available for Shorewall and multiple ISP routing)
1, get the clean kernel source and symlink it to /usr/src/linux (it saves you some mistakes to properly identify the location of your kernel source)
2, get the latest iptables source, symlink to /usr/src/iptables
3, get the ipp2p source
4, get the latest patch-o-matic-ng
5, get Julian Anastasov's latest giant patch for 2.6.20

6, run the patch-o-matic/runme and apply all features all features
7, run the patch-o-matic/runme ipp2p
8, run make menuconfig
9, apply Julian's patch on the kernel
10, run make menuconfig & make
11, compile iptables against this kernel source (don't forget to set the proper PREFIX to your distro)
12, compile the ipp2p code against this kernel source
13, install the new kernel: make modules modules_install install
14, optionally you have to copy the ipt_ipp2p.ko to the proper modules folder and copy libipt_ipp2p.so to iptables's lib folder

There could be steps not necessary in this process but it is working now for me now.

Hope this helps,
Andras

Andy Furniss wrote:
Niclas Bentley wrote:
Hi again,
I wrote this a few days ago....Isn't there anybody using ipp2p and linux
kernel 2.6.20?
I think ipp2p would be very useful in order to identify bittorrent
traffic...

I don't - maybe you should cc the maintainer aswell.

As for bittorrent - there may be easier (and fairer) ways, like per user shaping or if you are doing QOS for yourself use a client that can bind to a different IP.

Andy.