Re: tc / MARK question

Hi Dan,

>Hi,
>
>I have a router, running iptables & tc, with 2 interfaces
>(eth0 & eth1).
>
>I classify http traffic in iptables (prerouting mangle) coming in
>on eth0 and going out on eth1 with MARK 0x1, and I also classify
>return http traffic coming from eth1 -> eth0 with MARK 0x1 as well.
>I then ACCEPT them in the filter/FORWARD chain based on --mark 0x1.
>
>However, I want to shape this traffic, and limit based on the 0x1 MARK.
>I want to limit traffic to 4MBit outgoing on eth1 (incoming http), and
>4MBit outgoing on eth0 (return http), *independently*, even though they
>use the same MARK.
>
>If I use HTB, assigned to egress eth0 and another assigned to eth1, and
>classify packets based on the MARK 0x1 (from above this is two tcp
>streams in different connections under the same mark), does tc:
>
>a) Treat the interfaces separately, giving me 4MBit either way
>   independently

This is the correct answer.
Traffic Control is applied to each interface independently.
Didn't you notice that when you configure a qdisc/class/filter
you must always specify the interface name ? :)
The fact that you use the same MARK in both directions has no
influence at all on the queueing.

>b) Treat the interfaces as one (because one MARK is being used), and
>   give me 4MBit total across both streams?

Regards
/Christian
[http://benve.info]