Re: Re: [LARTC} how can I compile tc

John Baker wrote:
Ok, I tried it out but for some reason it doesn't take for the compile process. This is, after export KERNEL_INCLUDE=/usr/src/linux/include/ if I run export this declare -x KERNEL_INCLUDE="/usr/src/linux/include/" is there. But when I run make in iproute2 I still get the /usr/include/linux/ip.h:93:2: error: #error "Endian problem - this didn't happen" error.

I tried to circumvent this by moving the /usr/include/linux directory to /usr/include/linux.old and then making /usr/include/linux a soft link pointing to /usr/src/linux/include and got a different set of errors as follows.

You shouldn't have to do this - maybe just maybe playing with symlinks can help build some old out of tree stuff, but you shouldn't need to do it here.

I don't know what distros do nowadays (use LFS myself), but the very existance of /usr/src/linux link to tree is depreciated.

Why do you need to build a new tc - unless you need the latest features your distro should already have it & I think it should work with a new kernel.

If you really need it, I assume you have built your own 2.6.20.3?

Where is it, what did you do? If after configuring/building it you cleaned with make mrproper that will be too clean to build against - make clean should be OK.

The first time I tried this I forgot to run make clean after trying to compile it against the original /usr/include/linux/ and it actually got past the initial endian error and died trying to compile tc. When I ran make clean and tried I go the above error.

I would expect tc to fail - you need the git version.

Generally if I have the tar and fail a build I just delete and start again - not saying that will help in this case.

If your distro has git already installed great - if not you can get it from here

http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-1.5.0.5.tar.bz2

install where you want - see INSTALL

to get the iproute2 git do -

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shemminger/iproute2.git

(as one line) and it will get the latest iproute2 tree for you.

Andy