Re: DNAT and Load Balancing

On 3/2/07, Tom Lobato <tomlobato@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hi all!

    After that good thread "DGD patch not detecting dead gateway" I was
able to set up a Load Balancing with ping based DGD (without Julian
Anastasov patch). But now I'm facing a new problem and tried some
options, with only partial solutions.

    I made a script based on
http://www.mail-archive.com/lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg16257.html (Thank
you Manish Kathuria), without Julian A. patch, and with routes/rules as
described in nano.txt. It works fine, but...

    The problem: I do DNAT for internet located people to access my LAN
machines (VNC, RDP, etc...). It sometimes works, sometimes don't work.
It appears that the connection from outside can enter, but when reply
packets try to get back across nat machine, it falls into the round
robin default route selection to define its gateway. Well, of course,
this reply must leave the router via the same interface whose initial
packets entered.

    vnc initial
request packet      reply that got
            \                   wrong route
             \                       ^
              \                     /
              V                  /
              isp1 isp2 isp3
               _|____|____|__
              |                    |
              |      dnat      |
              |_____________|
                        ^

              LAN estation, the
                  vnc server

    What I need is a way to force packets leave the router via the same
interface whose its request entered this.
    I'd like to hear opinions about the problem (and also solution =).
Remember, I can't apply the DGD patch from J.A. because it only checks
the first hop for dead detection.
    I will apreciate any help.

    Thank you,

    Tom Lobato

I had overlooked this. I had also faced a similar problem.  There are
two possible solutions, one is to apply Julian's patches because even
though you are not using the patches for DGD, they do help in making
NAT processing with multiple gateways work properly. The other option
is to mark the packets using CONNTRACK. There was a good discussion on
this topic some days back. You can check the thread using the
following links to the archives:

http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2007q1/020354.html
http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2006q2/018964.html

--