?OT? Linux 2.6: bridge + routing firewall

Hi All!

I need to deploy a bridge firewall using linux kernel 2.6. I had success
using kernel 2.4 plus br-nf patch. But the configuration does not work with
kernel 2.6.

If the default policy for the iptables FORWARD chain is ACCEPT I have a
bridge. If iptables FORWARD chain is DROP I have an insulator (no packet
flows). Any hint?

I did some google search and in many places they say "kernel 2.6 is not
recommended", "no luck with kernel 2.6", etc.

Any link to a success story of a bridge firewall with kernel 2.6? Any
personal experience?

Thanks in advance,

Edésio