Re: routing in tunnel mode

Hello there, it does not matter what type of network you are trying to reach, the Network unreachable error message suggests, that the router does not know on which interface(physical) to forward the packets with destination -net !

Before the lane you wrote, try this:
route add -net xx.xx.xxx.xxx dev YOURDEVICE

YOURDEVICE will be the device that the network is connected to the router via. If it is a sit tunnel, then YOURDEVICE = sit0.

HTH,
-Nikolay Kichukov

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
Hello,

Looking here

http://www.ipsec-howto.org/x299.html

I've set up a vpn in transport mode with two linux boxes. I'm now trying to
set it up in tunnel mode. After using the example keys, trying to ping, it
doesn't work because the route network isn't routable.
This mention is in the howto

"If you tunnel is not working, please check your routing. Your hosts need to
know that they should send the packets for the opposite network to you vpn
gateway. The easiest setup would be using your vpn gateway as default
gateway."

But how does one set up a route like that, since the network is multiple hops
away, the route command isn't going to accept it?

[root@vmware-espresso1 ~]# route add -net 172.16.113.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
gw 10.33.15.145
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

Some help please.