Looking for new ideas to improve linux router performace

Hello,

I have 2 dual CPU Xeon 3Ghz HT enabled Linux routers and each one of them serving 2 class C with pick traffic on router about 300Mbit full duplex

2 x Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)

1GB ram

And

2 x Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

1GB ram

Both routers have about 600 iptables rules, 4000 tc rules with HFSC scheduler and 300 static routes

I have implemented tc filter hashing which improve performance

but my goal is to push those machines to the limit with 4 class C and double above rules and traffic

Currently system takes no more then 60% CPU time at pick per working CPU as every NIC has been set on different CPU,

and I have two idle CPUs on each machine .

 Currently Linux kernels are coming with timer interrupt of 1000hz max which in my opinion is not enough

 Also there is no way to serve interrupts from one NIC on two processors.

 I’m open for suggestions

 Thanks to all in advance.