tool classify L7 packet

Please Advise me, Now I have got a problem about … Finding Tools In Linux (Opensource) that

Can capture traffic packet and save it in log file or trace file. But it can classify Layer7 packet too

Because I need to implement application that count number of packet in each application after packet pass through linux box which be like traffic control

Please advise me.

Ps. Can snort classifies Layer7 packet?

Ps. I have just read on paper about ip table command they tell it has new feature is “Log” in new target so If i use iptable with layer7 filter when I classify and found layer7 packet .it will save this event to log file and i can count number of it later in log file?? Can I do that??

Thank you