mrtg monitoring shaped traffic

Dave,
In a post to LARTC on 18 Sep 06 you said "I run MRTG on all outbound
traffic".

I'm a newbie with respect to mrtg.  I have rrdtool and mrtg built on my
Linux box but I have no SNMP so "nothing works".

Could you please provide basic instructions for implementing mrtg with
respect to traffic shaping?
What is needed?  Net-SNMP?  OpenSNMP?  If yes, what is SNMP used for and
how is it configured to provide information for traffic shaping?

Please also provide whatever configuration is appropriate for mrtg.

How does one "make the resulting graphs fairly public"?

Abuse is not an issue but seeing how much traffic is in which queue is
vital.  Thanks for any help.
--
gypsy