From: Raj Mathur [mailto:raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 2:49 PM
To: lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [LARTC] Problem with Load Balancing

    William> To my knowledge, there is no way to download one file
    William> from two different connections connected to two different
    William> ISPs at the same time.  If you are running BGP then you
    William> might be able to load balance across the two links, but
    William> that would require your upstream providers to allow you
    William> to use it, and possibly the purchase of a public AS
    William> number an IP address space depending on the setup.  If
    William> you are doing NAT past this link (IE both of your lines
    William> go two the same ISP and same address blocks, but they
    William> want to give you 2x 10mb links for 20mb total), then you
    William> can look at doing load balancing on layer 2 (Fast
    William> EtherChannel, bonding, Link Aggregate Groups, whatever),
    William> or creating 2 PPP style links between the computers and
    William> using a routing protocol like OSPF, EIGRP (but not on
    William> Linux) or something.  I believe OSPF does equal cost load
    William> balancing, BGP and EIGRP can, I think, do unequal cost
    William> load balancing.  But either way, I don't think that's the
    William> solution in your case.

    William> The only other option I can think of would be some sort
    William> of software that sends every other packet to a different
    William> IP or something, which would need to run at the end you
    William> are downloading at or maybe at your ISPs, but I can't
    William> think of anything like that.

Wouldn't some download manager software that splits the file up into multiple simultaneous downloads do the trick?  Agreed, not a single download across multiple ISPs, but definitely a single file across multiple ISPs.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      http://kandalaya.org/
       GPG: 78D4 FC67 367F 40E2 0DD5  0FEF C968 D0EF CC68 D17F