Re: Completely isolating P2P/BitTorrent traffic

On 9/12/06, Francisco <ranmakun@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'll tell you what I did to completelly isolate MY bittorrent traffic. In
azureus you can tell the program to use a specific IP, so I have two IP's per
PC, one for p2p and the other one as the main IP. Then I simply shape traffic
from the azureus IP in each PC. Obviously this only works for you, since you
wont convince any user to do this, but I found it quite practical if that's
what you need. aMule doesn't have the same option, but this traffic is easy
to detect.

Some clients, like Azureus, let you bind the local port for outgoing
connections.  Then marking based on the source port will work for not
only incomming connected tcp streams but outgoing connected tcp
streams too.  All the data you're seeing as not marked correctly is
likely people your bittorrent client connected out to that are running
encryption.  ipp2p can't determine that those data streams are p2p
sessions as it actually should look similar to any ssl connection.
Seems the best options is to bind to a seperate ip, or if client has
the option bind to a specific local port and match on that.

- Jody