Re: Traffic shaper based on UIDs

Hello, Andreas!

Yes, the owner match is great. But I can mark only outgoing packets
this way.  And as far as I know, traffic shaper needs to know who is
the owner of the incoming packets to do the shaper job.

And that's why it is required to patch the kernel, it seems to me.
Have I misunderstood something?

But I've recently sent to this mailing list another letter related
to this problem.  It seems to me, if each unix user would use the
different IP address, it is not a problem to do the shaping.

Thank you for your response.

> Hi,
>
> vit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > But there is no filter based on unix user id (the reason is clear for
> > everybody -- ip packet doesn't contain this information).
> >
> > I've found the very interesting netfilter patches at the patch-o-matic:
> There is no need for POM patches, you may use the "owner" match from
> iptables. (see: man iptables)
> > Am I on the right way?  How can I combine the power of netfilter and
> > traffic control systems to solve my problem?
> You might match for each user and then set a mark or even classify directly
> by iptables. (see man, too)
>
> Howto mark: http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.filters.html (9.6.2, fwmark)
>
> Btw.. there is no best (classful) qdisc, this varies on your needs.
> Nevertheless, I'd take htb because it's relativly simple to setup
> (personally I like hfsc though).
> You may just try them out. :)
>
> Bye,
> Andreas.