Re: pps limit ?

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 12:35:32PM +0200, Roy-Magne Mo wrote:
> Dmytro O. Redchuk wrote:
> >Hello, list members,
> >
> >  can i limit pps rate with linux? How?
> >
> >  -m limit does not fit, as i understood: it can help with low rates only
> >  (is that true? any suggestions?)
>
> This is probably better achieved at the switch level. If this is for
> stopping viruses and DoS-attacks, then it's better to stop the traffic
> as close to the source as possible.
Mmm, probably i mentioned linux box acting as a bridge [too]. And,
probably, not to stop, but to "prevent", by setting up some policy for pps
rates.

Probably, it's possible to set up some policing on Cisco Catalyst switch,
but if linux would have some tools to do "the same", it would be better,
as for me.

And i don't like "police [rate-bps] ..." here, i like htb in the same
situation :-)

I need a kind of "police [rate-*pps*] ...", and, preferably, for linux.

:-(

It's like it's not possible, so i should review my considerations
probably.

Thank you.

--