Re: Suggestions/Pointers on where to begin my search for asolution?

Bill Blum wrote:
Hi-
I'm working in the IT department of a small liberal arts university-- we're getting *massacred* by P2P traffic.

Informal testing/probing indicates that about 60% of our traffic from the dorms was P2P-- we've taken the initial step of hardlimiting the dorms to no more than 40% of outgoing university bandwidth. Also, we've blocked the 'standard' ports for KaZaa, Gnutella, etc. in our firewall/switch setup (Cisco Catalyst 6500 between us and the net at large)....

However, the Powers That Be want a better, more effective solution--- without a performance hit for the VOIP phones on campus. Any suggestions on what part of the FM I should be reading/etc, so that I can make a better informed decision about how to proceed?

Regards,
Bill Blum

--
Bill Blum
Bill.Blum@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:Bill.Blum@xxxxxxxxx>

Try a Linuc m/c in between with ipp2p patch on iptables. Have you tried using the NBAR facility on the CISCO. That should also help.

Mohan Sundaram