Re: New hardware

I used a SunFire x2100 which has 2 Ghz Opteron and PCI-Xpress slot into which I plugged in a dual port gigE Intel PCI-Xpress card.

Got a raw forwarding performance of 800Kpps for 64B packets. This beat a CISCO 3845 which gave 600Kpps.

Raw forwarding is one measure though it is not the end-all.

Mohan
Marek Kierdelewicz wrote:
Hi!

Hi

reason of hardware upgrade is growing up number of users, also we are
planning to increase upstream link from 100 Mbit/s to 1 Gbit/s.

If you want to move around 1Gbit/s you need PCI-X or PCI-E network
interfaces (PCI bus would be a bottleneck).

1) Server based router (with dual core Xeon CPU)

I've been using for some time now router with 2xsingle-core Xeon CPU
for servicing 2k+ users. It works well.
2) Desktop based router (with newest Intel Core 2 Duo CPU)

Did't have a pleasure. I'd like to hear some opinions on that one too.

3) what about AMD (I have no personal experience with them)?

I'm trying to use unorthodox hardware setup for fast router:

Dual core AMD64
desktop motherboard with 2xPCIe x16 slots (SLI capable motherboard)
two PCIe x4 intel E1000 Server network adapters

Preliminary tests look promising. Network adapters mentioned above
should in theory do better then previous PCI-X network adapters.

As I know, 64-bit architecture in router specific tasks doesn’t
give any performance boost? Maybe there are some other nuances that I
need to know (kernel hacking, hardware hints)?

I think 64-bit architectures can do much better then 32-bit ones... at
least on 64-bit kernel.

I’m going to use standard Intel E1000 NIC for 1 Gbit/s speed
line, is it a good choice?

Best choice as far as I know. Anyone would sugest something else?

Regards,