wifi network performance is degrading with iproute2

Hello,

I used iproute2 to do iif specific routing on wifi routers with 2 wifi
802.11b interfaces on non overlapping interfaces.

I set rule as follows on router-2 (shown below)

use table 100 if incomming interface is wlan0
use table 200 if incomming interface is wlan1

all routes in table 100 have wlan1 as oif
all routes in table 200 have wlan0 as oif

           --wlan0--            --wlan0----
router-1  +         + router-2 +           + router-3
          +         +          +           +
           --wlan1--            --wlan1----

(actual setup used 6 routers linerly)

Theroy says that using 2 interfaces on different channels and ensuring
that data recieved from one interface is forwerded on another will
increace perfornamce.

I did not observe the same. I found the performance reducing by 1.5 times
when this static rule based routing is compared against OLSR Protocol.

I used iperf for measurements. Both TCP and UDP performance was low.

Please let me know your views on this.
Is rule and multiple table lookup very time consuming ?