Advanced routing routing table limits and rule design

I am trying to determine how to best increase the number of routing
tables available in linux 2.6 to more than 255.  I realize this involves
increasing the storage of some messages to and from the kernel in
addition to kernel changes (from browsing the code), and was hopeful
that someone might know what the correct solution would be or could
point me in the right direction (like existing patches or a highlevel of
what I need to change in the code).

Additionally, I was curious how the ip *rule* system works in regards to
matching -- is it a linear search or optimized in some way.  Basically
what I'm asking is if adding rules to a machine adds time to the whole
system passing over various rules that don't match.

This all comes down to a seutp I have that has a lot of routing tables
and at least one or two rules to get into each routing table.  I don't
want to increase the number of routing tables if also increasing the
number of rules on the box is going to do more harm than good.

Wayne