Re: Unequal Multipath Routing?

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 05:19, Andrew Lyon wrote:
> Peter Surda wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 June 2006 15:16, Luciano Ruete wrote:
> >> how about:
> >> ip route add default nexthop via a.a.a.a weight 4 nexthop via b.b.b.b
> >> weight 3
> >
> > exactly.
> >
> >> Not tested but i think it can work.
> >
> > tested, works.
> >
> >> Luciano
> >
> > Yours sincerely,
> > Peter
>
> It works in so far as the command is accepted and there is no error, but
> having changed the default route and then doing a upload by ftp I can see
> that both lines are still getting 1/2 of the outgoing packets.

One upload means nothing, plain multipath(vanilla kernel, with multipath
cached not set) take in account destination address(DA for convenience) and
TOS. For each new pair of DA and TOS it takes the nexthop available. So doing
an ftp to a single host will make no difference.
Think in connections instead of packets, for a 'per packet multipath' you need
to have same source address for all your choosed gw/isps and to patch your
kernel.

> I am fairly sure about this because both lines are adsl, when the upstream
> is saturated the latency goes up and this is reflected in graphs that our
> isp make available, the line with 600kbit upload has noticeably higher
> latency, the line with 800kbit does not.

The latency problem is easy to solve, making your linux box to be the one who
manage the queue, see section 9.2.2.2 of LARTC HowTo.

> Have you verified that it does actually distribute the packets in a
> different ratio? I think multipath is just random.

As i say, each time a new pair of DA and TOS arrives it takes the nexthop, in
the case mentioned above, it will choose 4 times the hop a.a.a.a and 3 times
the hop b.b.b.b and so on.

It is possibly that you start a heavy http download and goes by a, and then a
ping and goes by b, and then a new heavy http download and it goes by a
again. So one line is saturated while the other is empty, thats why multipath
works better(fairly) as the number of clients arise.

--
Luciano