Re: Dynamic Linux Traffic Control

Paul wrote:
Hey all, heres my problem/s.

I have to write code which upon a message from another component
1. Reserves bandwidth for a voip call between 2 hosts.My code will reside on
neither of the hosts but the hosts will have to go through me to talk to
eachother.

2. Since i'm reserving bandwidth for these hosts to talk to eachother i have
to limit everything else.

3. I need to do this on-the-fly. i.e > I may recieve a request for several
calls, i need to remove the traffic control when a call is ended and i need
to keep limiting all other traffic to give each call its own defined amount
of bandwidth.

I have being pulling my hair out trying to do the above with tc, so can
anyone help ? Is tc filters the best solution ? Is there anything else thats
more dynamic ?

As long as you have enough bandwidth for the calls then just setting htb/hfsc up to give prio/guarantees to voip will reserve the bandwidth - and let other traffic use it when voip traffic is not present.

If you are shaping ingress from the wrong end of the bottleneck you will need to sacrifice bandwidth to get control.

Andy.