Re: TC on virtual NIC, and how to manage the incoming traffic

On Di, 2006-06-20 at 19:50 +0200, Stefano Mainardi wrote:
> I need to work with TC on a virtual interface. Is it possible ?

I guess you mean the "eth0:1" and alike that ifconfig generates.
If so, no, it is not possible (at least directly), since those are
just additional addresses bound to an existing interface.

There are other "virtual" interfaces where it works (loopback, VLANs,
tunnel interfaces etc.) You can see which ones work by using
"ip link ls".

That being said, your problem can be solved, of course (this
is linux, after all!)
If you need to shape traffic differently based on IP addresses
(or just about anything else), you can use iptables to mark
the packets or classify them directly to tc classes.
Look into the CLASSIFY and MARK targets for that.

Hth,
Torsten