poor performance for building route cache

I did a test shown as following diagram. (The DUT is running Linux with NAPI ethernet driver.)
I add 1000 routes into DUT then use the Smartbits
port1 to send packets (with destinations to all the 1000 networks) to the DUT then receive
them back from the port 2. The packets are sending in a rate that is much lower than half of
throughput of the DUT.

The DUT will lose some packets if the DUT has empty route cache before the packets are sent.
Once the DUT builds the route cache, the DUT can properly forward all packets to the other port
without any loose.

I guess that the issue is caused by heavy loading for building route cache.
I just doubt that the system can have such poor performance for building route cache.
Does anybody have any comment? Thank you.

Smartbits port 1 ----------- DUT ------------ Smartbits port2