Re: Detecting p2p traffic

On Monday 22 May 2006 03:26, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> Jason Boxman wrote:
> > On Sunday 07 May 2006 19:43, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> >> After varying degrees of success with p2p detection modules, I would
> >> like to write the following rules using iptables to reliably identify
> >> p2p traffic:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> On my network all p2p traffic falls into these categories, and I don't
> >> mind overmatching with other traffic.
> >
> > If you can, you could look into compiling and using ipp2p against your
> > kernel. I find it works extremely well with my p2p traffic from edonkey
> > protocol(s). You may have success with L7-Filter, too.  You can probably
> > use both at the same time, but I've never tried as ipp2p works for me.
>
> Thanks - I tried both ipp2p and l7-filter. I found that on the whole
> they worked well, but on the network of 50 clients there was always a
> couple that it didn't detect. I also wanted to put something in place
> that didn't need upgrading - if and when I move on someone will have to
> keep updating ipp2p and l7-filter on the server.

There is an alternative method that i've used and is infallible detecting p2p.
Find out what is *not* p2p traffic in your network and give it the appropriate
bandwidth/priority. Then the rest will be p2p traffic.

This is the same approach used to build firewall rules, which is close all
traffic and start open ports/protocols till all works ok. So at first maybe
there will be some false positives, but with yours clients feedback and a
Little of network analysis all goes to the right place.

Some clues on what is not p2p:
- packets with size<100bytes
- tcp ports 80,21,22,25,110 and so on...
- all udp, some p2p protocols use it for control but AFAIK is not used in data
transfers, and if it is, you can still use a size rule ie: udp<900bytes
- other protocols as icmp igmp esp...

--
Luciano