Re: HTB at 100+ Mbits/sec

Forwarding this to the list just so its in the archives.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Larry Brigman <larry.brigman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: May 11, 2006 10:16 AM
Subject: Re:  HTB at 100+ Mbits/sec
To: Muthukumar S <muthukumar@xxxxxxxxx>

On 5/10/06, Muthukumar S <muthukumar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,

I've been trying to test HTB performance for different link bandwidths
to find potential limits and this is what I have so far:

http://home.comcast.net/~msethuraman/htbtest/

Can members please go over the setup, test procedure and the results
and answer a few questions?

1. Is the testing methodology okay and can the results be considered
accurate? If so, is this a decent representation of behavior outside
the lab?

Iperf has a demonstrated behavior that when running more than one copy at the
same time on the same box (client side); that the timing of each will
start to effect
the other copies.  This is a function of how Iperf does it's timing
(spin loops).

If you are just wanting to test HTB, the router/bw limiter will be in the way of
making accurate measurements of what HTB is doing to the traffic.
Also with
the router in the middle and using TCP;  TCP will try to level itself
to the path bw between
the end points.  UDP might be a better method here as you have no round trip.

2. Does anyone know of any limits (theoretical or observed) beyond
which HTB will not work or will be inaccurate?

None that I know of.  Most likely the limits will be that of the driver/hardware
not allowing you to reach wire saturation (ie YMMV).

3. I've never quite understood the recommendation for setting the root
HTB to 85-90% of the link. All these tests used 100%. Can someone
please explain or point me to some explanations for the 90%
recommendation and why it is considered necessary?

The basic reasoning for limiting to < 100% of link rate is to make
sure none of the
choke points on the path have any reason to discard your packets.  The burst and
cburst parameters allow HTB to overstep the limited rate for some
period of time when
coming from an under-utilized link.  This burst rate may be enough for
your cable/DSL
modem which does not have a large buffer to discard packets.

Most of what I have seen here seem to indicated that a 95-98% of link
rate when using
rate-shaping disciplines typically works well provided you don't have
too large of burst
parameters.