strange iptables mangle problem

Hi all,
   I manage network with two connections with l00Mbit
In the past when network wasn't so load everything was OK, now
in pick hours load over  border server  from 1.0 to 1.5  / it isn't so big /
and  for me is very strange why I have increasing of ping timeout
from 0.5- 5ms  in normal hour to 50-100 ms in pick hours..

 server is with good hardware

   AMD 64 Dualcore 3800+
    Intel Gigabit Ethernet
    1 GB RAM
    Debian sarge 2.6.16 #2 SMP kernel

I use about 240 mangle rules with iptables  to mark download traffic and to
limit it but when I try to load more rules server increase load  and begin to drop
packages :(

 my question is why when I try to load new 200 mangle rules / only mangle rules /  server increase load average and ping timeout increase to 50-100 ms …
and second is what is better solution for networks with more then 100Mbit traffic ..
  to use iptables mangle rules + u32 or to use more u32 filters and less mangle rules ?

  Actually I don't have experience with so big traffic and I need any advice is welcome.

Best Regards
Emil