Re: Swap size

Off Topic

I am not a swap fan these days. I am not to sure it's really that
necessary. If the system has adequate memory for the applications and
task it will be doing. Most times there will be little to no swap used
ever. The more memory, the less likely you will ever swap. And if you do
it's very small amounts.

Any way you look at it swapping is bad. You are substituting one of the
slowest components for one of the fastest. Either way swapping kills
performance. Sure it could be the difference of out of memory, and apps,
machine crashing, halting etc. Rare. Most times it's a hit in
performance not needed.

Those rules of thumb for swap size vs ram size is only relevant if you
have small amounts of ram. A system these days needs a min of 512,
either physical or combo, swap and physical. Once you top 512MB of
physical memory. Your needs for swap start diminishing. 1GB or more of
ram, and hardly the need for any swap. At that point I tend to use
256-512Mb just to be safe. However I have seen years go by on some
servers, with little to no swapping. So I max out on most machines at
256MB swap these days.

IMHO swapping is bad. If you are swapping more than a 10-20MBs, more
than likely you are best off to get some more ram. Unless that's not an
option then maybe another machine. When you do swap, things slow down,
so I just seen no reason in it.

Granted it was needed for the low mem systems of yester year. These days
you can get a 512MB-1GB stick of ram for $50 or so. Hardly relevant any
more. I have been toying around with getting rid of swap all together in
some of my machines. When I experimented on a core NAS server. Only
times I would have issues, was every now and then during heavy Gentoo
updated/compiling. But not always, and never show stoppers.

But the jury is still out for no swap here.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.