Delay before shaping kicks in

I am shaping traffic very sucessfully, but I still have one problem that I just can't figure out the solution to.
When my backbone becomes saturated with traffic, I use prio to diffreciate between users, so that those who
need it most, actually gets their service. BUT... when using prio, it actually takes a few seconds before the service they
need is given to them.

An example:

One user downloads with 10mbit (full speed of the link)
Another user with higher priority starts downloading, and for the first few seconds only get a fraction of what he really needs, but then suddenly, the speed increases, and the low-prio user looses his speed.

Is there a way to make this "kick in" start faster?

I checked the net/sched/sch_htb.c and found:
#define HTB_EWMAC 2     /* rate average over HTB_EWMAC*HTB_HSIZE sec */

Could decreasing this to like 1 second fix the issue?

Steinar Pedersen