Re: why isn't 1:1 getting the traffic? [filter question]

Jody Shumaker wrote:
tc qdisc del dev eth0 root > /dev/null 2>&1
tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle 1: root htb default 2
tc class add dev eth0 classid 1:1 parent 1: htb rate 100kbps ceil 100kbps quantum 1500
tc class add dev eth0 classid 1:2 parent 1: htb rate 90mbit ceil 90mbit quantum 1500

You're defining 2 root classes to the HTB qdisc, while it should
possibly have given an error, it seems to instead just put the first
one, 1:1, into a state of limbo where its never used.

This was fairly obvious looking at your tc statistics output, where it
lists both 1:1 and 1:2 as roots with no parent. There can only be one
valid root class.

Why? I need two virtual circuits. I don't want the 90mbit class interfere with the 200kbit class: no lending, no borrowing.

Should really set it up something like this with one main root:
tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle 1: root htb default 2
tc class add dev eth0 classid 1:0 parent 1: htb rate 90100kbps ceil
90100kbps quantum 1500
tc class add dev eth0 classid 1:1 parent 1:0 htb rate 100kbps ceil
100kbps quantum 1500
tc class add dev eth0 classid 1:2 parent 1:0 htb rate 90mbit ceil
90mbit quantum 1500

Then I imagine your tc filter would actually work.

It actually works if I use a *leaf* class as the target of the filter (see my subsequent email). But this contradicts the documentation, which even mentions one could gain speed by adding further filters to other classes besides a root one.