Re: Is this possible?

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 10:23 +0100, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 06:38:09PM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> > For example, lets say we have a 1000kbit link, and two
> > classes sharing that link:
> >
> >   - Voip - ie high prio real time, and
> >   - Web - background traffic.
>
> Have you measured this link, i.e. when there is no activity
> and you start some Voip sessions, do they get a constant
> downstream of 1000kbit?
>
> It may very well be that you have to measure the real throughput
> and then go a little lower (since you have to be the bottleneck),
> however having to throw 30% of bandwidth away sounds a bit too
> harsh to me.

The setup I gave was purely hypothetical.  300kbit
headroom sounds way to high to me as well - any
advice others may have on this would be appreciated.

> Another way of indirect headroom would be to hard limit the Web class,
> i.e. give the Web class a lower ceil than the other classes. This way,
> there is bandwidth that the Web class can't use no matter what, even
> if the link is completely empty.

That is the right answer - it would achieve what I want.
In hindsight it seems so obvious I don't know why I
didn't think of it myself.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query.