Re: filter performance/optimization questions

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:58:48PM +0200, Imre Gergely wrote:
> yepp, hashing is done, for every type C class (/24), there are around 300 of
> these, and all are redirected to a more specific table, according to the
> documentation.

That's weird, then - with proper hashing, the total number of filter rules
should not affect CPU load too much, since only very few of the filters
actually have to be traversed. Maybe it's caused by something else, or the
hashing does not work as expected.

> now i have a question about this, too. to me it's not clear how these filters
> are looked up.

Good question. Actually I can't answer it properly. For my filters, the
order either did not really matter or I had few enough of them to use
the priority parameter to order them properly.

Regards
Andreas Klauer