load balancing and failover

Hi,
A friend of mine has 2 lines of 512kbps terminated in two Linux boxes.
He now want to remove those 2 boxes and have some device which will
loadbalance the two ISPs and also have a failover arrangement. But he
has agreed to give me a chance to do it on Linux for my own
satisfication.
Is this easy to do with lartc? How do I go about it exactly?  I have
very less time to do it since his whole network will be done for that
time and I cannot afford to play for long time. Is it worth trying it
with lartc for academic sake atleast?
Can someone suggest some easy steps?
With warm regards,
-Payal