Suggestions for a new shaper

Guys

Reading through my lartc mail, and thinking on how to tackle my next
shaping solution, gave me an idea. I'd like to propose this idea for
scrutiny and if it sounds viable I'll definitely need to start
developing in due time.

For me in my day to day work with developing network application
specifically geared for middle-tier ISP's, and reading on other
peoples issues I gather that the following would be the ultimate
solution to traffic jams.

First the case study. An untrusted network with over-subscribed users
(and abusers). Common at universities and bigger enterprises. People
want good speed at any time, but abusers should be detected and
clamped down automatically. This system needs intelligence. Let's say
a good combo between HTB & WRR, through in a pacemaker and the
configurability of XML files.

My thinking is Python (I only code interpreted) doing the
configurations and "live" htb manipulation to simulate wrr, but still
offer the gaurentees of htb. The account for data and detect abusers,
something like pmacctd would be easy to integrate with and provides
powerful options.

Extra things should be the ability to handle multiple subnets, not
just a single one, and while doing Python we might as well have
options to produce rrd's to make sure that everything is running
perfectly.

Any advice, tips or suggestions? I know it won't be an easy feat, but
it is worth a shot...

Best

--

Kenneth Kalmer