Re: gypsy, and not only

brick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> hi
> i ve seen one of your replies here and i saw that you receomend 2
> modifications in the kernel files in order to improve htb.
> first in pkt_sched.h, changing PSCHED_JIFFIES to PSCHED_CPU.
> and then, sch_htb.c, changing HYSTERESIS from 1 to 0.
> is it that simple?
> i mean i just change these here variables and i get better results?
> i ve done a search and found the first file in 3 locations. where exactly
> do i do these modifications?
> tnx

Hi,

The place to change JIFFIES to CPU is in the kernel source, which for me
is /usr/src/linux-2.4.32/include/net/pkt_sched.h
This is a MUST DO.

The place to change HYSTERESIS is
/usr/src/linux-2.4.32/net/sched/sch_htb.c

No, it is not quite that simple.  You should experiment with HYSTERESIS
to see what works best.  For ATM, I recommend 0.

Use an editor to change the kernel source.  Make sure you have a working
.config in the source tree (that can be the hard part, but your distro
should provide the .config that matches your kernel).  Get into the
source tree:
cd /usr/src/linux  (if there is a symlink)
or
cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.32
rm .version
make oldconfig

Check .config to be sure it looks like what you want.
The syntax of the following is a personal preference:
make dep ; make clean ; make bzImage

Check to be sure the kernel built properly.
make modules ; make modules_install

Install your new kernel.  Run your boot loader (lilo / grub / ??).

modprobe sch_htb
lsmod

If all is OK, you don't need to reboot.  Otherwise fix anything that a
reboot won't fix and reboot.
--
gypsy